2013 Muhtadi International Drumming Festival Grooves to a New Lineup!
The 14th Annual Edition of The Muhtadi International Drumming Festival Features an Eclectic Array of Drumming in Woodbine Park.
Toronto (Canada) – May 27, 2013 The 14th Annual Muhtadi International Drumming Festival will start off the Summer Festival season at Woodbine Park on June 8th and 9th, 2013. The Free Festival where all cultures come together, drumming and dancing to one beat!
The Muhtadi International Drumming Festival (MIDF) celebrates the drum , its universality as an art form, and its presence in all cultures around the world. Muhtadi International Drumming Festival (MIDF) is extremely proud to present the diverse group of Performers comprising the 2013 Lineup. MIDF is the only annual festival in North America celebrating the diverse range of the drum. It is a free festival that is gaining additional recognition year after year. The event promises to be a 2 day family-friendly celebration full of multicultural performances and passionate, artistic people.
- 50+ Local and nationally touring Master Drummers and Drum Groups on 2 Stages, including Main Stage acts Alexis Von Kraven (Drumkit), Amadou Kienou (Burkina Faso), Baque de Bamba led by Aline Morales (Afro Brazilian), Beyond Sound Empijah, Green Sky Project (Bulgaria/Iran), Impact Percussion (Drumline), Maracatu Mar Aberto (Afro Brazilian), Mark Kelso (Drumkit), Professor Trichy Sankaran (India), Samba Squad, YoungPete Alexander (Drumkit)
- Long & McQuade Drum Zone, interactive area to try many different percussion instruments
- 2 Areas with Adult beverages sponsored by Amsterdam, Bacardi Breezers, 20 Bees with more spirits TBA. Drink responsibly!
- 20+ International Food trucks and vendors
- Arts, Crafts and Drum booths
- Childrens Area
- Drum Clinics
MIDF takes place in Woodbine Park a part of the larger Beaches area in Toronto; a community known for its vibrancy, natural surroundings and great outdoor sound stage – a perfect location for this year’s MIDF because it mirrors the festival’s characteristics.
The park is situated at the corner of Coxwell Boulevard and Lake Shore Boulevard East. It is known to play host to various other summer festivals including the Beaches International Jazz Festival and the Beach BBQ and Brew Fest. Muhtadi International Drumming, the not-for-profit organization behind MIDF is excited to bring live music and dance to the versatile Woodbine Park because it’s well suited for the growing and energetic festival.
The Muhtadi International Drumming Festival official lineup announcement below!
- Alexis Von Kraven (Drumkit)
- Amadou Kienou (Burkina Faso)
- Amara Kante (Ivory Coast)
- Arabesque Drummers (Arabian)
- Archie Alleyne and Kollage
- Baque de Bamba led by Aline Morales (Afro Brazilian)
- Baro Dununba (Traditional West African and Diasporic rhythms)
- BASS ment Sound Crew
- Beyond Sound Empijah
- Creole Drumatix
- Dande Music Showcase (Zimbabwe)
- Dhol Circle
- FND (West African)
- Green Sky Project (Bulgaria/Iran)
- Hummingbird Tassa Group (Trinidad)
- Impact Percussion (Drumline)
- Isshin Daiko (Japan Traditional)
- Maracatu Mar Aberto (Afro Brazilian)
- Mark Kelso (Drumkit)
- Muhtadi & the World Drummers (West African)
- Njacko Backo & Kalimba Kalimba
- Njacko Backo & Toumkak Drummers (Cameroon Contemporary African)
- Northern China’s Waist Drum and Dance Group (China)
- Northern Legs Southern Fists (Kung Fu, Dragon and Lion Dance Team)
- Professor Trichy Sankaran (India)
- Riddim Crew Tassa
- Sakwithi Drumming Group (Sri Lanka)
- Samba Elégua (Brazil)
- Samba Kidz
- Samba Squad
- SamulNori Canada (Korea)
- Snooky Tynes Family Band
- Steafán Hannigan (Bodhráns for Modhrans! Celtic)
- T-Dot Batú
- The Shadow Drummers (Aboriginal)
- Tsingory Dance and Music of Madagascar
- Umurisho (Burundi Drummers)
- Wolara Drum & Dance
- YoungPete Alexander (Drumkit)
The Muhtadi International Drumming Festival is organized & operated by the tireless efforts of DEDICATED VOLUNTEERS! We simply could not exist without the hard work, dedication and commitment of our incredible volunteer staff! And a big drum roll to all of our sponsors who are shown below.
The Muhtadi International Drumming Festival continues to provide a kaleidoscope perspective on the Toronto Drumming scene, with its family friendly party festival atmosphere. This year’s festival will be a blast for everyone attending and a great way to experience drumming. Mark your calendars for Saturday, June 8th and Sunday, June 9th and get excited to dance into the night with the MIDF line-up, kicking off the summer festival season!
For more information about the Festival, to volunteer, sponsor, become a vendor or to obtain colourful high resolution assets (available through Drop Box, Google Drive or FTP) or to arrange interviews, sound clips or video please contact:
For additional information about the Muhtadi International Drumming Festival (MIDF), please visit: http://www.muhtadidrumfest.com
# # #
Muhtadi International Drumming (MIDF)
About Muhtadi International Drumming an arts and culture not-for-profit organization that hosts the annual free event held in Toronto on June 8-9th 2013, Woodbine Park, Toronto Beaches and the annual Drum Beats program celebrating Black History Month. The festival celebrates the drum, its universality as an art form, and its presence in all cultures around the world.